Join us tomorrow, on Friday 26th August to celebrate We Love MCR day.
Last Sunday’s Manchester Moment coincided with the Platform 4 festival which presented live music and street theatre and now the city is about to embark on another celebration with music and discounts galore.
SUPPORTING LOCAL BUSINESSES
We Love MCR Day isn’t just the cities response to the riots, it is about supporting all the independent businesses throughout the city, and in the process, raising funds for Forever Manchester and Reclaim – two great local charities.
More than 11,500 people have joined the ‘I Love MCR’ campaign on Facebook and they hope to reach 20,000 supporters by tomorrow – so if you haven’t joined yet, please do!
THE MAIN EVENT
The main event is in Exchange Square between 4pm and 6pm. There will be live music, street theatre and lots of freebies. In addition to stalls with giveaways, there will be activities and information, along with places to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere.
Dozens of businesses and organisations have signed up to celebrate by offering discounts and freebies on the day – Look out for branded posters in the windows.
Some offers will only be available to people wearing I Love MCR T-shirts so if you haven’t got one yet you can pick them up at the pop-up shop in the Arndale, with profits going to charity.
Even Manchester Landmarks will be dressed to impress: The Co-op has today unveiled a 56 meter high I Love Manchester banner, spanning 15 floors of the CIS Tower. Tonight, Urbis and Piccadilly Tower will have beating hearts projected on to them.
5.30 TWEET UP!
If you can’t make it to Exchange Square you can still join in the fun for the Manchester mass ‘tweet up’ at 5.30pm. Tweet your messages of love for the city by including the hashtag #ILoveMCR
There will be lots of offers throughout the city centre over the weekend, both to celebrate Manchester Day and for Manchester Pride. Look out for posters in the windows that show what offers are available. Here are just a few I have heard about:
- Afflecks will have live music, competitions, poetry readings and celebrity appearances throughout the building tomorrow.
- Store holders are offering discounts to anyone in an I Love MCR T-shirt and people are being invited to record what the city means to them on a permanent Manchester wall.
- Afflecks will also be unveiling their ‘And on the 6th day God created Manchester’ mosaic on the outside of the building. See We Are Me And Yu for more details.
- Blackdog Ballroom will be commemorating the day with a Manchester Tart milkshake, made from vanilla and strawberry ice cream, cherry bitters and Coco Lopez, garnished with Maraschino cherries and raspberries. The unusual cocktail will be served with a slice of Manchester Tart.
- It will be available exclusively on ‘I love MCR Day’ for £3.50, with 50p from each milkshake sold being donated to Forever Manchester and Reclaim.
- The Craft Shop at the Royal Exchange Theatre is offering a 20% discount on North West makers work.
- At Spinningfields you can enjoy a free box of Swizzles Loveheart cupcakes with any drink at Hey Little Cupcake. Plus you can get 40% off your food bill at GBK at Leftbank.
OTHER DEMONSTRATIONS OF LOVE:
- Comedy club, the Frog and Bucket has pulled together a special Manchester comedy line-up.
- Bruntwood is dressing many of its buildings (as well as their staff!) with ‘I Love MCR’ branding.
- Both Manchester City and Manchester United have worn ‘I Love MCR’ T-shirts in training.
- Manchester Pride will be handing out ‘I Love MCR’ flags during the Manchester Pride Parade on Saturday.
Happy ‘We Love Manchester Day’ everyone!
All comments welcome 🙂